Friday, July 22, 2005

That's The Way

I saw Robert Plant last night, under a rising full moon, on the waters of the San Diego Bay. I've been flying on a high ever since, not the kind i get after a rock show, but the kind that can only be fulfilled by falling witness to an event i've waited over 15 years to experience. First off, to get it out of the way, his band is mighty excellent - not too clean, not too cookie cutter, psychadelic enough and dirty enough to pull off ALL the zeppelin plant sang. And he sang more Zep than was expected. In fact, here's the setlist, from memory, i believe i am forgetting some things....but such is the way of a good show sans pen and paper in hand.

Plant/ San Diego/ Embarcadero - July 21, 2005

No Quarter
Shine It All Around
Black Dog
Freedom Fries
White Rabbit
That's The Way
Hey Hey What Can I Do
Tin Pan Alley
4stix
Gallow's Pole
Mighty Rearranger
When The Levee Breaks
Wonderful Enchanter
Whole Lotta Love


and here's the thing. I cried like a baby during That's The Way. i'd waited more than half my life to hear this song live, to hear all those zep songs live, sung by the Legend himself.....last night some magic happened. Plant's range is in tact! i heard a low register, a high register, signature wailing, and the psychadelia of Whole Lotta Love which can turn even a SaltPetered male into a horny tiger. Thanks Robert.

That's The Way It Oughtta Stayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw that show, too, it was a wonderful performance, I hope I can stay half that connected to my ambitions when I'm his age.