Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Life Of Herbie



I met fletch's alternate universe today. At about 2:30 somewhere in my gray matter, i had a fleeting moment of clarity - and for an instant knew i would have Fletch back before night rolled in.

At 3:15 my phone rang. Behold.The Call I Was Waiting For. We all wonder what if....Fletch got the chance to experience it. Since Wednesday Sweet Fletcher of Normandy has been living in South Park (San Diego) with another dog (half greyhound half dalmation) & two cats. When i was there, i even saw an iBook G4 just like mine. (but not nearly as smart). A nice 30-ish couple took him in, renamed him Herbie, bought him a bed, he had a yard, toys, they bought him a new collar.......and a new food brand. Evidently the female member of this couple went to get a killer cut & dye job in Hillcrest, an area MelvinVanNebula plastered with flyers. Not noticing any of them, she told her hairdresser about her new dog Herbie. And because the universe is really a vast expanse of nonlinear time where so little makes sense that everything becomes predictable, the hairdresser told her about the "Lost Dalmatian" signs......soon thereafter my phone rang. I'm sure you have some of the same questions i had. well, have. but i've decided to stop asking Why and focus my energy instead on Thank You. What a solid group of friends and family i have. The support and energy you gave is what brought us back together. Otherwise, Fletch might know life through the eyes of a dog named Herbie, and there's a lot of comfort there. I only hope that at least 32 of my alternate parallell universe lives are as pleasant as 2 of Fletch's.

Fletch. a man of many disguises. He's an old guy. Right back to sleeping next to my chair. Where he belongs.

No comments: